Solving 'Error EDDDAV: Call to ZHEGV failed. Returncode = 7 1 8'

Problems running VASP: crashes, internal errors, "wrong" results.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

junting_zhang

Solving 'Error EDDDAV: Call to ZHEGV failed. Returncode = 7 1 8'

#1 Post by junting_zhang » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:08 pm

Hi,

I am getting this error in my OUTCAR. I have tried to change the parallelisation and mixing parameters but still cannot eliminate the error. I have attached my input files and an OUTCAR.

Best
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

henrique_miranda
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Solving 'Error EDDDAV: Call to ZHEGV failed. Returncode = 7 1 8'

#2 Post by henrique_miranda » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:33 pm

I would advise against changing the mixing parameters unless you know very well what you are doing.
Try having a look at this page and the recommendations therein:
https://www.vasp.at/wiki/index.php/Diff ... ge_systems

in particular
Try to create a minimal INCAR file with as few tags as possible. If the calculation converges then gradually add them back until you find which one was causing the problem. Try to reduce the time-to-solution as much as possible by lowering the k point sampling (or using gamma-only calculations is that is sensible), lower ENCUT, use PREC=Normal.
Once you have such a `fast` calculation with minimal settings then you can try using ALGO=All and TIME=0.05 for example and see if the problem persists.
Only once you have a successful `fast` then you should try to increase ENCUT and KPOINTS until convergence.

junting_zhang

Re: Solving 'Error EDDDAV: Call to ZHEGV failed. Returncode = 7 1 8'

#3 Post by junting_zhang » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:01 pm

Hi

Thank you for the advice. I took a couple of days to proceed with what you suggested and I found that simply setting the parallelisation parameters to default would help convergence in my case.

Best