negative value in PARCHG with LSORBIT=.TRUE.

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

Infant

negative value in PARCHG with LSORBIT=.TRUE.

#1 Post by Infant » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:25 am

Dear all,

With the spin-orbit interaction tag LSORBIT = .TRUE., I tried to extract the PARCHG for specific energy state after the band structure calculations.

I set the LPARD = .TRUE., LSEPB= .TRUE. and LSEPK=.TRUE..
Then, I specified the point I want to plot using the IBAND and KPUSE tags as usual.

I got the PARCHG files accordingly, however I found the result in PARCHG is unexpected character since it contains negative values!
I found someone already noticed about this issue and posted in elsewhere http://cms.mpi.univie.ac.at/vasp-forum/ ... CHG#p14909.

I found admin's reply that PARCHG is only available in the non-magnetic runs.
admin wrote:PARCHG is only available for non-magnetic runs
What is that mean? Is it because of the some technical problem (related with the code..) or is there any other physical reason?
And if it is not possible, how can I get PARCHG for specific band in certain k-point?
Is there any other way?

Sincerely,
Kim.

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

Re: negative value in PARCHG with LSORBIT=.TRUE.

#2 Post by admin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Do not mix the concept of spin polarization (working with spin-up and spin-down quantities)
with the concept of spin orbit coupling. The SOC concept uses 4-component spinors
and spin-up and spin-down quantities are not defined anymore.
Upon swithing on LORBIT = .TRUE. spin-up and spin-down electron densities are not
calculated, therefore PARCHG does not contain relevant numbers.
Actually the combination of tags LORBIT=T and LPARD=T should generate
a warning message.

Infant

Re: negative value in PARCHG with LSORBIT=.TRUE.

#3 Post by Infant » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:25 pm

I did not want to calculation spin up or spin down part of the state.
I just want to get the wave function squared |psi|^2 for certain band and k-point.
I did not said that I want to calculate spin-up and down densities in the SOC calculations.
And I can sure that there was no such WARNING messages you've mentioned.
It is post processing performed after the band structure calculation with generated WAVECAR file.
And I expected that, since there is wave function information for certain state it should be give some relevant outputs.
Version is VASP5.2. Did it improved for latest version?
Am I still confusing SOC method?

Thank you.
Kim.