Partial charge densities in VASP

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

madhu_menon2

Partial charge densities in VASP

#1 Post by madhu_menon2 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi,
I am trying to calculate partial charge densities. I went to the topic: wiki/index.php/LORBIT
I see that due to the issues with version >=5.4.4, they suggest the following steps:
1. Self-consistent calculation with symmetry switched on (ISYM=2)
2. Recalculation of the partial charge density with symmetry switched off (ISYM=0)
What do I calculate in step 1? I.e., what output am I looking for? Do I calculate DOS in step 1 or just the optimization? Then what do I take from step 1 as input into step 2? Obviously, I am assuming that I calculate DOS in step 2. Do I also copy CONTCAR to POSCAR in step2. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

henrique_miranda
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Partial charge densities in VASP

#2 Post by henrique_miranda » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi,

All the input files for step 1 + the resulting WAVECAR need to be transfered to step 2.
If you are doing a relaxation calculation then you should do it before doing step 1.
You should start the step 1 already with the relaxed ionic positions.
Hope this answers your question.

madhu_menon2

#3 Post by madhu_menon2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. So, I should do a static calculation with ISYM=2 in step 1 and use the resulting WAVECAR as the input along with ISYM=0 to calculate the partial charges in step 2, right?

henrique_miranda
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by henrique_miranda » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:50 am

Yes, that should do the trick.
I also recommend that you carefully check the partial densities that you obtain in both step 1 and 2.
The two steps are only needed because of a bug in the symmetrization of the partial densities so at least you should check that the two steps indeed yield different results.
The issue should have been fixed in VASP6

madhu_menon2

#5 Post by madhu_menon2 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:37 pm

Great. Thank you! :)