LTRIPLET in SOC calculation

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

yuanchang_li

LTRIPLET in SOC calculation

#1 Post by yuanchang_li » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:21 pm

Dear all,
I have a question that when I do a BSE calculation including the SOC effect, if I want to get the spin-triplet exciton, should I uncomment the "LTRIPLET = T" tag?
I check my results and it seems that when I consider the soc in a non-polarized system, the lowest exciton is spin-triplet directly.
But I'm not so sure :(
Thank you so much !

Best,
Yuanchang Li

alexey.tal
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: LTRIPLET in SOC calculation

#2 Post by alexey.tal » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm

Dear Yuanchang Li,

If you include spin-orbit coupling in your BSE calculation, you should not set LTRIPLET = .TRUE. as, in principle, there is no more distinction between spin channels and the singlet and triplet configurations are mixed. You get the full set of solutions by running the calculation with LHARTREE = .TRUE. and LTRIPLET = .FALSE..
I check my results and it seems that when I consider the soc in a non-polarized system, the lowest exciton is spin-triplet directly.
The lowest exciton should be a triplet state as the repulsive exchange interaction in singlet configurations reduces the binding energy of excitons compared to the triplet states.