Bands included in the BSE

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

yuanchang_li

Bands included in the BSE

#1 Post by yuanchang_li » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:57 pm

Dear friends:
When calculating BSE, I have some doubts about the identification of occupied bands,I konw we could set the NBANDSO and the NBANDSV to control the bands which included in the BSE calculation.However,I encountered some problems when calculating GW+BSE with vasp5.4.4.
I calculated GW+SOC, and found that the highest band occupied is the 30th band, with the number of occupancy being 1, so the 30th band should be the VBM(valence band max), and the 31st band should be CBM(conduct band min). However, when I calculated BSE, I considered the situation of NBADSO=4 ,NBADSV=4 and NBADSO=2 ,NBADSV=2 respectively,then VB (max)=31 and CB (min)=30 were found in OUTCAR of BSE,which is so strange.
Because my system considers SOC and has a very small gap of about tens of mev, I suspect that there is an error in recognition
Please give me some help.
Thanks
Quxiao
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedro_melo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bands included in the BSE

#2 Post by pedro_melo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:25 am

Dear Quxiao,

Please include if possible the files you used during this run (INCAR, POSCAR, POTCAR, KPOINTS), as well as the output files created by VASP (OUTCAR, vasprun.xml, vaspout.hdf5). Otherwise it will be very hard to reproduce the issue and give you some feedback from our side.

Kind regards,
Pedro Melo

sergey_stolbov1

Re: Bands included in the BSE

#3 Post by sergey_stolbov1 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:04 pm

I face the same issue and as a result unphysical excitation spectrum.
Bands included in the BSE spin= 1
VB(min)= 125 VB(max)= 144
CB(min)= 145 CB(max)= 164

Bands included in the BSE spin= 2
VB(min)= 123 VB(max)= 142
CB(min)= 142 CB(max)= 161
I have checked the GW OUTCAR. For all k-points the band 142 is occupied and the band 143 is unoccupied.
Is it possible to change CB(min) by hand?
Thank you,
Sergey