Ionic relaxation calculations with constrained magnetic moments

Questions will be moved to this forum when we consider them out of scope for support from our side: for instance when we do not have the necessary expertise to come up with an answer.
Another user still might, though!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

liang_zhang

Ionic relaxation calculations with constrained magnetic moments

#1 Post by liang_zhang » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:14 am

Dear all,

Is it possible to do the ionic relaxation calculations with constrained magnetic moments? I know that the when do the non-collinear constrained magnetic calculations at a specific ionic geometry, it should increase LAMBDA stepwise so one can bring E_p down by reading the CHGCAR. However, how can I do the ionic relaxation calculations (IBRION = 2) at the same time, if I need to increase LAMBDA at each ionic step? Or can I simply fix LAMBDA to a specific value (e.g. 10) when doing the ionic relaxation calculations?

Thanks and looking forward to your response.

Best wishes,
Liang

michael_wolloch
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ionic relaxation calculations with constrained magnetic moments

#2 Post by michael_wolloch » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:45 am

Dear Liang,

you can use the constrained magnetic moments approach in relaxations and keep LAMBDA constant during the relaxation.

One feasible approach would be to increase LAMBDA stepwise in the starting configuration until your constraint is as small as possible while still giving you the intended result, and then relax with that value.

Monitor the magnetic moments during the relaxation to verify that the constraint is strong enough.

You can then repeat that process for the fully relaxed structure.

Let me know if that explanation was sufficient, Michael

liang_zhang

Re: Ionic relaxation calculations with constrained magnetic moments

#3 Post by liang_zhang » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:23 pm

Thanks for the reply! I will try that. :D