E-fermi for band structure

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

user
License Nr.: 74

#1 Post by user » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:38 am

Dear All,

I am wondering how VASP sets the Fermi level (E-fermi) in the band structure calculations.

For semiconductors, it appears to me that VASP sets the Fermi level in the middle of the band gap; not at the valence-band top.

For semimetals and metals, does VASP set the Fermi level at the highest occupied state(s)? If so, does it depend on the way we choose different high symmetry directions in the BZ?

In all cases: Since we do not scan the whole BZ, how precise is the position of the Fermi level given by VASP (in the non-selfconsistent run to get band structure)?

I would be very glad if someone helps me clarify this issue.

Thanks.
Last edited by user on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

#2 Post by admin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:50 am

vasp sets the Fermi level on the highest occupied Kohn-Sham state, therefore, you are right, it may be inaccurate if the k-mesh does not include the k-point at which the VBM lies.
if there is a gap, EF may be slightly higher than the VBM, if SIGMA is chosen very large.
Please note however that for all systems using 3D periodicty the zero-level of the E-scale is only given within an additive constant, therefore the absolute values of the eigenvalues (and of course EF) have no physical meaning.
If you do a slab calculation, the E=0 level can be set to the constant vacuum level, and all energies can be taken with respect to this level..
Last edited by admin on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

user
License Nr.: 74

#3 Post by user » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:52 pm

Thanks, Admin. That's very helpful.
Last edited by user on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.