Convergence problem of climb NEB calculation

Problems running VASP: crashes, internal errors, "wrong" results.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

can_liu

Convergence problem of climb NEB calculation

#1 Post by can_liu » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:04 am

Dear administrator,

I'm running a calculation of methoxy diffusion on rutile(110) with climb NEB method. There are five middle states. It has run for more than 5000 cycles, but not converged yet. The energies are changing quite slowly. I'm not sure if there is any problem. Would you please have a check on my calculation? Here are the current files
report 0201.rar
including POTCAR, INCAR, KPOINTS, CONTCAR(states 01-05), OSZICAR(states 01-05), and OUTCAR(states 01-05). Thank you very much.

Sincerely yours,
Liu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alexey.tal
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Convergence problem of climb NEB calculation

#2 Post by alexey.tal » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:41 am

Hi,

Could you please provide POSCARs for all images?

can_liu

#3 Post by can_liu » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:50 am

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. Here are the POSCAR files (
report-POSCARs.rar
) of the current calculation. They have been iterated after 5000 cycles. If you need the very beginning POSCARs, please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alexey.tal
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by alexey.tal » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:01 pm

As EDIFFG is not specified in your INCAR, it is set to the default value, which is 1E-4 eV in your case. If EDIFFG is positive, VASP has an additional convergence criterion for the forces g(Force) < EDIFFG and this condition is not satisfied in your calculation. Also, considering that g(Force) is calculated as a sum over the images, it can be rather difficult to converge. So it might be easier to achieve the convergence by setting a criterion for the forces explicitly EDIFFG < 0.

You can also try to increase ENCUT and the number of k-points to improve the accuracy of the calculated forces and get smaller residual forces. Another thing that can improve the convergence is fixing more layers in the slab.