Closed band gap in semiconductors

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

pedro

#1 Post by pedro » Wed May 30, 2007 1:04 pm

I observed that in germanium band gap is closing and VASP predicting a qualitatively wrong metallic ground state. (I used PAW potentials with and without d state as valance in LDA approx.)

Any one could explain why the band gap is closing? And how to "open" it?

Maybe someone had the same problem in other semiconductors?

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>
Last edited by pedro on Wed May 30, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grassman
License Nr.: 38

#2 Post by grassman » Thu May 31, 2007 5:25 pm

This is a result of the well-known "band gap problem" in DFT due to the approximation of the exchange potential, which causes the underestimation of basically all band gaps (semiconductor and insulator), as well as the prediction of quasi-metallic small-gap SCs (InAs, GaSb, Ge, etc.). You'll find copious amounts of literature on this issue. To "open" it properly (i.e. theoretically rigorous) you need to introduce "higher-level" methods into your calculations. Exact-exchange (hybrid functionals) helps fix the gap problems, or better yet, GW. Unfortunately, those aren't available in VASP till version 5, which I'm sure many of us are anxiously waiting for (I know I am). There are a couple other available codes that already include such methods (e.g. CPMD, CRYSTAL, ABINIT), but they just usually aren't as fast or user-friendly or full-featured as VASP.
Last edited by grassman on Thu May 31, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.