Is the Gibbs free energy calculated by VASP?

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

oja

#1 Post by oja » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:06 am

As I asked this once before and did not get an answer, I will reiterate my question. Is the VASP free energy calculated by U+PV-TS, including the PV term that might occur when relaxing with nonzero strain?

If the PV term is not included in the VASP free energy, then one cannot do strain calculations directly by comparing the free energies of different phases at each strain.

Some people are doing strain calculations assuming the PV term is included, while others have calculated it separately; it is very odd that this is not explained anywhere in the VASP manual.
Last edited by oja on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

centauris

#2 Post by centauris » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:09 am

G=H-TS=H=U+PV at temperature T=0 vasp calculates Free energy F=U-TS, maybe derived from mermin paper, minimize the grand potential
Last edited by centauris on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

oja

#3 Post by oja » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:13 am

[quote="H-TS=H=U+PV at temperature T=0 vasp calculates Free energy F=U-TS, maybe derived from mermin paper, minimize the grand potential[/quote"]

I would like someone to clarify this to me, perhaps in complete English sentences. Does this mean that VASP does NOT calculate the Gibbs free energy, and thus it cannot be used for strain calculations?

What I want to do is compare the Gibbs free energies of different phases at given nonzero strain (and, therefore, nonzero pressure), to find the phase with the lowest total Gibbs free energy.
Last edited by oja on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

#4 Post by admin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:51 pm

The PV term is not included in the total energy written in VASP, the free energy (TOTEN) is U-TS (=H).
Last edited by admin on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.