What to do after getting the license

Questions regarding the compilation of VASP on various platforms: hardware, compilers and libraries, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

faisal_almarzooqi1

What to do after getting the license

#1 Post by faisal_almarzooqi1 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:11 am

I've recently acquired the VASP license and currently wondering how to install VASP on my PC. i know its a very simple question as i am heavily involved in experimental work rather than simulations (which i recently started looking into).

I would appreciate the help in taking me through how to install the VASP to my PC.

Thank you very much in advance.

andreas.singraber
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What to do after getting the license

#2 Post by andreas.singraber » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:19 pm

Hello!

Welcome to the VASP forum! You should have received an email with your license information which allows you to access the VASP portal. In the "Releases" section you can find a chronological list of releases (source code, PAW potentials,...) from the VASP team. Search for the latest VASP source code (6.4.2), download it and unpack it on your machine. Next, you will need to compile the code to get an executable binary. There are detailed instructions on our Wiki on how to do this:

Installing VASP.6.X.X

VASP seeks to give optimal performance on very different hardware so we cannot give general advice about which compiler and library combination is optimal on your particular computers. Hence, you may have to try different selections oriented along our suggested toolchains. If you have never compiled some software yourself and find yourself overwhelmed by the amount of options and choices I suggest to have a look at this Wiki page:

Personal computer installation

There, you will find instructions on how to compile VASP on common Linux distributions without manual installation of compilers and libraries. All dependencies will be installed directly from the package manager's sources. Also, all necessary modifications to the makefile.include file and build steps are explicitly listed.

VASP is typically used on Linux/Unix operating systems as they are common on HPC clusters. If you want to install VASP on a Windows computer you may try the Windows Subsystem for Linux together with Ubuntu installation instructions (however, we do not test this on a regular basis).

Once you have successfully compiled the VASP executables (located in the bin directory) I would recommend to try some or our tutorials or videos.

All the best,
Andreas Singraber