SIGMA effect on the total energy

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

zhuanghl
License Nr.: 471

#1 Post by zhuanghl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:15 pm

I want to calculate the energy difference between the supercell(with the same shape and calculation parameters) with and without grain boundary.There is some problem I met with the SIGMA tag.As we know that there are 3 different energies in the OUTCAR file,we should take the second energy(i.e. energy without entropy)for use for the metallic system.But what the problem is that energy difference between the first energy and the second energy is different. What is worse is that some is larger than the free energy,while others are less(though the average value for each atom are both very small).Has anyone seen such problems before?In this case,I am not sure,which oneof the energy to be used?
ps:I want to get the accurate energy
Last edited by zhuanghl on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

#2 Post by admin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:42 pm

the E(sigma --> 0) should be taken if you use the Methfessel-Paxton method (ISMEAR=1 or 2). Moreover, SIGMA should be chosen carefully, | F-E | should be negligible (in the meV-range).
concerning the "larger" energies: these most probabaly are due to the N=1 or 2 polynomial fit used by the MP method. Please have a look at the k-points.pdf file (p16) of the vasp-workshop,
http://cms.mpi.univie.ac.at/vasp-workshop
for further details
Last edited by admin on Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.