From VaspwikiJump to navigationJump to search
ISMEAR = -5 | -4 | -3 | -2 | -1 | 0 | [integer]>0
Default: ISMEAR = 1
- ISMEAR=N (N>0): method of Methfessel-Paxton order N.
- Mind: For the Methfessel-Paxton scheme the partial occupancies can be negative.
- ISMEAR=0: Gaussian smearing.
- ISMEAR=−1: Fermi smearing.
- ISMEAR=−2: partial occupancies are read in from the WAVECAR or INCAR file, and kept fixed throughout run.
- To set the occupancies specify
- and for spin-polarized calculations, additionally
- in the INCAR file. The (partial) occupancies must be specified for all bands and k-points. The band-index runs fastest. The occupancies must be between 0 and 1 (for spin-polarized and non-spin-polarized calculations).
- Mind: Partial occupancies are also written to the OUTCAR file, but in this case they are multiplied by 2, i.e. they are between 0 and 2.
- In this case a tag
SMEARINGS= ismear1 sigma1 ismear2 sigma2 ...
- must be present in the INCAR file, supplying different smearing parameters. IBRION has to be set to -1 and NSW to the number of supplied pairs ismeari/sigmai. The first loop is done using the tetrahedron method with Blöchl corrections.